Skip to content Skip to navigation
Skip to global navigation Menu

March 7, 1960

“Uncle Fred’s Nose,” the addition to the Main Building given by trustee Frederick Ferris Thompson and erected in 1893 for a library, was demolished by the Campbell Building Company, as part of the plan for restoring Main Building’s original façade. The Class of 1960 took part in a brief ceremony, at which the first blow to the venerable eyesore was struck by President Blanding. Mrs. Martha Wyman, ’18, and Professor C. Gordon Post impersonated Lady Principal Georgia Kendrick and “Uncle Fred” Thompson.

The Years